JCIC Voter Engagement Issue Brochures https://becomingbelovedcommunity.org/advocacy
The JCIC brochures are in Arabic, English, French, Lingala, Spanish, and Swahili. Issues addressed include Affordable Housing, Education, Employment, Environment, Gun Sense, the 2022 proposed Constitutional Amendment related to Gun Protections, Health Care, and Immigration with a focus on voting engagement.
JCIC Voter Engagement Videos https://organizeiowa.com/video-archive/
JCIC Video Archive containing videos in Arabic, English, French and Spanish produced in 2020. Videos address Affordable Housing, Education, Employment, Environment, Health Care, and Immigration with a focus on voting engagement.
Gamaliel Action Network
The Gamaliel Action Network, of which the Johnson County Interfaith Coalition is an affiliate, empowers “ordinary people to effectively participate in the political, environmental, social and economic dimensions affecting their lives.”
To sign up for Gamaliel’s monthly news and action update, please visit https://gamaliel.org
Gamaliel sources on the importance of voting:
- Video: A Message from Dr. John C. Welch, Chair of the Gamaliel Board of Directors, on Election Day https://gamaliel.org/featured/election-day/
- Article by Dr. Keith Whitley, Co-President of MOSES, the Gamaliel affiliate in Detroit: “The KKK shot at my house to suppress voting. I’m Getting Back on November 3” https://gamaliel.org/featured/moses-detroit-president-on-fight-to-protect-voting-rights-ahead-of-nov-3-election/
- Podcast: Winning Medicaid Expansion in Missouri. https://gamaliel.org/featured/may-our-successes-encourage-us-to-stay-the-course-in-election-2020/
League of Women Voters
Empowering Voters. Defending Democracy. The League of Women Voters (LWV) is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization working to protect and expand voting rights and ensure everyone is represented in our democracy. We empower voters and defend democracy through advocacy, education, and litigation, at the local, state, and national levels.
- Visit https://www.lwv.org/ for information on the League’s work on Voting Rights as well as other issues the League advocates.
- Visit https://www.lwvia.org/ for information on the League of Women Voters in Iowa (LWVIA). The LWVIA website details information on the League’s public policy priorities for Iowa.
- Visit https://lwvjc.org/ for information on the League of Women Voters activities in Johnson County (LWVJC). There is information on this site for events held by the LWVJC to promote an informed citizenry, including candidate forums, forums with Johnson County state legislators, and educational programs.
Interfaith Alliance of Iowa
The Interfaith Alliance of Iowa is “the only statewide, progressive voice for people of faith and no faith protecting religious freedom, ensuring religion is not misused to discriminate, championing individual rights and uniting diverse voices to challenge extremism”. To view the Alliance’s newsletter, visit https://interfaithallianceiowa.ourpowerbase.net/civicrm/mailing/view?id=257&reset=1
ACLU of Iowa
The American Civil Liberties Union of Iowa “fights to advance civil liberties and uphold the Iowa and U.S. Constitutions.”
For the ACLU of Iowa’s work on voting rights, please visit https://www.aclu-ia.org/en/vote
Poor Peoples Campaign
The Poor People’s Campaign, a National Call for Moral Revival, is active in Iowa. Please visit https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/PPC-state-fact-sheet-Iowa.pdf